Phobias are defined as extreme or irrational fear of something. The common phobias that most people are aware of include fear of water, spider, heights, enclosed areas etc.
There also exists some bizarre phobias you did not know about. Here are 17 of the unknown phobias to know that the struggle is real.
1. ALLODOXAPHOBIA – Fear of other people’s opinions. People live in constant fear and anxiety of hearing people’s opinions about them and so tend to stop answering questions or participating in any activities as they are afraid of people’s judgment.
2. ANTHOPHOBIA – fear of flowers. Queen Elizabeth I suffered from it, roses in particular.
3. APHENPHOSMPHOBIA – the fear of being touched or of touching. Kelly Osborne syffers from this phobia. Must be difficult in the dating scenario.
4. BAROPHOBIA – fear of gravity. The sufferer fears that gravity will cease to exist and everything will go into the air, that gravity might become too forceful and harm people, and feels powerless because of it.
5. CHEROPHOBIA – fear of happiness. Some people are afraid of being too happy because they fear something bad will happen. Maybe listening to Cher can help ?
6. CHRONOPHOBIA – fear of time and time moving forward. The sufferer develops an extreme fear of passing time in that; s/he suddenly feels that the present moment is going to be in the past soon and this thought can terrify him/her. Mostly seen in prison inmates.
7. CYBERPHOBIA – fear of or aversion to computers and of learning new technologies.
8. CYNOPHOBIA – fear of dogs. It is the most common animal phobia. But honestly, dogs are adorable, aren’t they? Nadine Coyle is a well-known singer suffers from the same and so did Michel Jackson.
9. GERASCOPHOBIA – fear of growing old or aging. They associate old with something very hideous. Partly a very natural fear. There is even an 5 minute shor movie made on it.
10. HALITOPHOBIA – fear of bad breath. More like a delusion that you have bad breath. It is one of the latest phobias affecting many.
11. HEXAKOSIOIHEXEKONTAHEXAPHOBIA – fear of the number 666. some even believe that every barcode has the number 666 embedded in them.
12. METHYPHOBIA – fear of alcohol. Every mother’s wet dream I believe.
13. NOMOPHOBIA – fear of being out of mobile phone contact/losing your phone. Very recent, coined in 2010 and a study compared stress levels induced by the average case of nomophobia to be on-par with those of “wedding day jitters” and trips to the dentists.
14. TELEPHONE PHOBIA – fear or reluctance of making or taking telephone calls. the mere thought of ordering a pizza on the phone is enough to cause them to have a full blown panic attack.
15. OPHTHALMOPHOBIA – fear of being stared at. They feel that if people stare at them long enough they’ll notice all their flaws.
16. PHOBOPHOBIA – fear of fear itself or of having a phobia. This can lead to a self-replicating cycle, ultimately resulting in escalating circular fears. Some people with phobophobia already have one or more existing phobias.
17. EPHEBIPHOBIA – fear/dislike of youth. Even though the adults in the society may love their attractive bodies, youthfulness and commercial firepower, they also vilify adolescents as a non contributing drain on the economy and our democracy. This may be true.
Now you have increased your knowledge, but don’t go on labeling yourself or others with these phobias unless you experience pounding or racing heart, shortness of breath, rapid speech or inability to speak, dry mouth, upset stomach or nausea, elevated blood pressure, trembling or shaking, chest pain or tightness etc.