Nikon has announced the D810A, their first DSLR specifically for astrophotography.With a host of specialised functions, this camera captures magnificent 36.3-megapixel images of the cosmos.
The phenomenal D810A is a specially modified version of Nikon’s high-resolution master, the D810. With a redesigned infrared (IR) cut filter, this specialised D-SLR is four times more sensitive to the H-alpha spectral line (a wavelength of approx. 656 nm). For the first time with a Nikon, the true colour of nebulae that emit on the hydrogen-alpha wavelength can be captured without the need to modify the camera. Working alongside the new filter, the camera’s ultra-high ISO, outstanding resolving power, and a host of specialised functions combine to ensure photographers can capture deep sky marvels in brilliant detail.
- 36.3-MP FX-format sensor: delivers spectacular high-contrast images with minimised false colour.
- Modified infrared (IR) cut filter: four times more sensitive to the H-alpha spectral line (a wavelength of approx. 656 nm) than the D810.
- Long exposure M mode: allows exposures of up to 900 seconds.
- Electronic front-curtain shutter: minimises internal vibrations during exposure for the sharpest possible results.
- Spectacular ISO: the standard ISO range of 200–12800 can be extended up to 51200 ISO (equivalent).
- Unlimited continuous shooting: produce spectacular light-trail photography. Record as many high-quality JPEGs as your media cards and battery life allow.
- Live view: image can be magnified up to 23x, and boasts a virtual exposure preview for Bulb and Time settings.
- Red-lit virtual horizon: confirm leveling when shooting through the viewfinder.
- EXPEED 4: boosts the camera’s overall performance to a whole new level.
- Picture Control 2.0: ease postproduction with Flat setting for maximum dynamic range; fine-adjust detail with Clarity.
- Flagship AF performance: Multi-CAM 3500FX 51-point AF system configurable in 9-point, 21-point, and 51-point coverage settings and sensitive down to -2 EV (ISO 100, 20 °C/68 °F).
- Colour-tune monitor: anti-reflective 8.0-cm (3.2-in.), 1229k-dot RGBW LCD monitor. Push the colour balance and brightness in any direction.
- Multi-area D-Movie: Full HD (1080p) movies in FX- and DX-format at 50p/60p. Access the full light sensitivity range while filming, and control shutter speed, aperture, and audio levels, too.
- RAW Size S: delivers richly graded 12-bit uncompressed Nikon NEF files that enable faster image transfer and smoother postproduction.
- Fast, durable shutter: Kevlar/carbon fibre-composite shutter unit with 52 ms shutter lag, standard life cycle rating of 200,000 releases, and a shutter speed of 1/8000 to 900 s.
- High-capacity EN-EL15 battery: ultra-compact and lightweight lithium-ion rechargeable battery with a capacity of 1900 mAh (7.0 V). Capture up to 3,860 still images1 on a single charge.
- Storage media: two card slots for a smooth shooting experience. One CF card slot for high-speed UDMA 7 cards, and one SD card slot for high-speed, high-capacity SDXC and UHS-I cards.
- Durable magnesium alloy body: extensive weather and dust sealing ensure the D810A is moisture and dust resistant.
- Wired and wireless connection: supports Ethernet and wireless LAN. To connect, use the optional UT-1 Data Transmitter together with the WT-5 Wireless Transmitter.
- Optional accessories: extend shooting time with the MB-D12 Multi-Power Battery Pack, or the EH-5b AC Adapter with the EP-5B Power Connector.
The D810A is coming in late May for $3,799.95, a $500 markup on the regular D810. For more information, head over to the Nikon website.