Pentax has announced the K-S2, a compact DSLR which Ricoh claims is the world’s smallest dustproof, weather-resistant digital SLR camera with a variable-angle LCD monitor, wireless LAN and NFC functions.
The camera will be available ion a range of colours and has an AA filter simulator to assure the same level of moire reduction as an optical AA filter. It is also equipped with wireless LAN and NFC functions for the first time ever in the Pentax K series.
The K-S2 LCD monitor also features a variable-angle design for the first time in a Pentax digital SLR camera. By rotating the monitor 180 degrees to face the subject, the user can activate the self-portrait shutter button.
This model is Wi-Fi ready. With the dedicated smartphone app, you can shoot remotely, transfer and view images, and upload to social networking services from the palm of your hand. In addition, you can pair your NFC compatible smartphone with it just by waving your smartphone over the camera.
Further K-S2 is also equipped with a glass pentaprism optical viewfinder. The 0.95x viewfinder magnification and approximate 100% viewfinder coverage is now achieved. With this feature, checking focus and composition is easy and you can shoot with focus on the subject.
This camera employs the original shake reduction (SR) mechanism. It effectively reduces camera shake with all lenses, from ultra-wide angle to super-telephoto. Using SR with an image stabilization effect of 3.5 stops*1, the camera automatically applies horizontal correction*2 for countering minute horizontal tilting that occurs when pressing the shutter button. It is also equipped with a DR (Dust Removal) cleaning function that uses high-speed SR vibration to remove dust from the image lens.
- Weather resistant body
- New compact lens with WR construction
- Built-in Wifi and NFC modules with dedicated button for instantaneous communication with smartphones or tablet
- Dedicated Application for remote control and sharing on social networks
- Selfie assistance
- 20 MP stabilised CMOS sensor with AA fi lter-less
- Sensitivity up to 51 200 ISO
- Full HD recording with 30 fps frame rate, H.264 codec
The K-S2 will be available at the following prices:
- £549.99 (Body)
- £649.99 (Single Lens Kit – smc PENTAX-DA L 18-50mmF4-5.6 DC WR)
- £729.99 (Twin Lens Kit – smc PENTAX-DA L 18-50mmF4-5.6 DC WR & DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR)
- £879.99 (Premium Lens Kit – smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR)