A lot of recent studies and new findings are being done in the area of sleep among humans. The dangers of sleep deprivation include a suppressed immune system and moderate cognitive impairment. There are activities you carry on doing without realizing how harmful less or no sleep can be for you.
Here are some facts you need to know about sleep, also use this information wisely.
- Driving a car while you have not slept properly produces similar risks as driving drunk. Sleep apnea, which is caused due to insufficient sleep, may lead to life endangering situations as well.
- During sleep some of the major bodily activities take place, that benefits you, like, muscle repair, release of hormones that regulate your growth and appetite, memory consolidation etc.
- When for a long period of time, you sleep for only 4-5 hours or less, you believe that you have trained yourself and you don’t actually feel sleepy anymore. But it is different that actually ‘being sleepy’, because is reality your brain has lost its normal speedy functionality and it slows down, hampering your daily routine.
- Sleep loss in your daily routine can disrupt your metabolism and may increase your chances of diagnosing type-2 diabetes, while on the other hand, if you get proper amounts of sleep, especially on weekdays, it will help you in maintaining your weight, boost your metabolism and enhance the reduction of extra fat in the body.
- Naps help you recover from the hormonal imbalance that occurs due to less sleep at night. But that doesn’t mean you are going to cover up your lost sleep with naps on a regular basis because that will damage your sleep cycle as well.
- You should also know that increasing your sleep time more than normal also has its negative effects. It was found in a recent study that those who slept for 4 hours or less, when began to sleep for 8 hours or more had an increase in the risk of having strokes by six times than that of a normal person.
- No sleep leads to increase in the weight of a person. How? Skipping just a single night of sleep leads to a shift in brain activity that seems to spark a desire to consume more fat the following day.
Sleep is an important aspect in your life and your body requires a sufficient amount to keep you going. Your brain makes you sleepy with nightfall and alert with sunrise. It’s the sleep cycle of humans and that’s how evolution made us, and since evolution is a very slow process, it would be better if you honed yourself to a better routine.